Pinellas County Attains Green Local Government 5-Year Recertification
|Pinellas County Commissions and Staff: (Left to Right): Norm Roche, John Morroni, Janet Long, Mary Campbell, Ramona Madhosingh-Hector, Karen Seel, Kenneth Welch, Charlie Justice|
Pinellas County has become the first county in the state to achieve recertification as a Florida Green Local Government after it successfully met the five-year recertification requirements and sustainability standards established in the Florida Green Local Government Certification program. Pinellas County achieved 55 percent of the 399 applicable points, earning it a gold-level designation. [More]
FGBC Background and Mission
The Florida Green Building Coalition (FGBC) is a nonprofit 501(C)3 Florida corporation dedicated to improving the built environment. Our mission is "to lead and promote sustainability with environmental, economic, and social benefits through regional education and certification programs."
FGBC was conceived and founded in the belief that green building programs will be most successful if there are clear and meaningful principles on which "green" qualification and marketing are based. We are a membership-based organization governed by a Board of Directors and corporate officers who are elected by the general membership.
The FGBC is continually finding new and innovative ways to educate builders, developers, local governments, and consumers about how to achieve a healthier, more environmentally sustainable future.
The purposes of the Florida Green Building Coalition are:
- To develop, implement and administer voluntary green building standards and certification programs in Florida, which will be open to any interested party
- To award its certification mark to qualified projects
- To educate the general public, businesses, institutional and governmental bodies of the long term benefits of sustainable development and green building practices
- To encourage housing affordability by increasing building sustainability
- To stimulate statewide acquaintance and fellowship among members and others interested in green building practices
- To provide opportunities for members and other interested parties to increase their knowledge of green building practices.
2004 - Sustainable Florida 'Best Practices' Award
2013 - American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) and the Alliance for Water Efficiency (AWE) Exemplary Water-Energy Program